Monday, April 17, 2006

Root Beer is my nectar, and it surprises me when so few believe the same.

Root Beer is a drink that is unique to America. It still is relatively unknown to the rest of the world. Root Beer is seperate from most other soft drinks for being a conceptual drink. Coke is Coke, and Pepsi is Pepsi, but not all Root Beers are created the same. Some are much better than others, some are absolutely awful. Most Root Beers are traditionally fermented in order to carbonate them, but that practice has died out in most commercial brews. Here are my comments on a few of them:

Barq's: Everyone who loves Root Beer hates Barq's. I appreciate it for what it is, a Root Beer that tastes way to much like Coca-Cola. So if you want that kind of taste, which is fairly bitter and not very frothy, go for Barq's.

Stewart's: My favorite Root Beer, but mostly for sentimental reasons. Stewart's Drive-ins are quite possibly the greatest place to get food on the Jersey Shore (tied with the Windmill). My best friend and I would go to Stewart's and get Root Beer in frosty mugs and cheese fries. So many cheese fries.

Jones: Overpriced crap. Sorry hipsters and Target shoppers.

Mug: Same thing that Barq's has going for it, only Pepsi-based instead. This actually works a little better, not as bitter. I find this odd because I never liked Pepsi.

Saranac: The champagne of Root Beers. Open it over a trash can and drink whatever froth you can. When kept cold, it is rich and sharp. At four dollars per six pack, it's a great value as well. Available at your local Wegman's.

Ithaca Root Beer: We're all very lucky. It's expensive, but enjoy it. Wonderful brew that I sorely missed over winter break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home